Peak Unicorn Consulting
My name is Mik.
- I consult on dev & data ops
- I optimize, automate, and secure data processing systems (including HIPAA & PCI compliance)
- I "do architecture", but then I also write the code and make things actually work
In practice, this means that I work with:
- bash, make, python, go
- elasticsearch, kafka, cassandra, mongo, redis, postgres, rabbitmq, prometheus
- docker, kubernetes (wip)
- ansible, terraform
- aws (ec2, rds, ecs), google cloud
And these are the kinds of problems I can help you solve:
- your tests and /or deployments take hours to fail
- the elasticsearch (kafka, cassandra, etc) cluster is not nearly as "robust and infinitely scalable" as you'd hope
- it is unclear what logs where or where these logs go (yet log files regularly fill your disks and crash your hosts)
- docker was supposed to solve everything but it hasn't
- infra as code is great but you are still waiting for weeks to get new machines up (and then can't ever touch them again)
- you don't know how much data you are actually processing, or why
- just mentioning blue-green deployments makes your jenkins die
- you can't get a simple answer to: is everything ok?
- the AWS bill is way too high
- that monster hadoop /+ spark /+ mesos cluster falls over trying to process 100MB of text
I work in the SF Bay Area.